How can we put off a thing we do not like to deal with? Maybe a thing we know nothing about, maybe a thing we don't give a sh*t about?
Barack Obama knows - since he's put off answering Gen. Stanley McChrystal's request for more boots for six weeks now - and I'm gonna share it with y'all...
In the spirit of Paul Simon's classic "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", let's all sing "20 Ways to Screw Your Soldiers":
* Deliver remarks at a fundraiser for Bill Owens, the Democratic candidate in New York's 23rd Congressional District, and then deliver remarks at a fundraiser to benefit the DNC at the Hammerstein Ballroom.
* Deliver remarks at a DNC fundraising dinner and reception at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco.
* Deliver remarks at an event at the Ritz Carlton Hotel celebrating the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate.
* Deliver remarks at the Human Rights Campaign National Dinner at the Washington Convention Center.
* Attend "In Performance at the White House: Fiesta Latina," a concert celebrating Hispanic musical heritage on the South Lawn.
* Host a picnic for United States Secret Service members and their families on the South Lawn.
* Host an event for local middle-school students to stargaze and conduct hands-on experiments with astronomers.
* Deliver remarks at event with doctors from across the country in the Rose Garden.
* Fly to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago’s Olympics bid (and meet with McChrystal while he was there).
* Deliver remarks at a fundraiser for the Democratic Governors Association at the St. Regis Hotel.
* Deliver remarks at the Clinton Global Initiative at the Sheraton Hotel.
* Hold a rally on health-insurance reform at the Comcast Center at the University of Maryland in College Park.
* Host a viewing of a portion of the documentary "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" in the White House movie theater.
* Host an event on the South Lawn with the White House Office on Olympic, Paralympic and Youth Sport, Chicago2016, and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to promote Chicago's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
* Deliver remarks at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute's 32nd Annual Awards Gala at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.
* Deliver remarks to the AFL-CIO Convention at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
* Attend and deliver remarks at a fundraising event and reception for Sen. Arlen Specter at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
* Welcome the Pittsburgh Penguins to honor them for their 2009 Stanley Cup championship victory.
* Meet with the Professional Golf Association of American champions.
* Host a dinner celebrating Ramadan and highlight the contributions of American Muslims in the State Dining Room.
All via Campaign Spot.
And while some of these events are par for the course for any sitting president, couldn't he have skipped the PGA meeting - or the Ramadan dinner - and spent some of that time thinking about how to best support the men and women under his command...?
Maybe Paul Simon had it right after all:
The problem is all inside your head
She said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free....
And you know Obama is just dying to take his advice:
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don’t need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don’t need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free...(of Afghanistan)