Friday, August 24, 2012

So I'm back...

..and re-invigorated.  Posting to resume shortly.  But in the meantime, I will share one thing I learned, in my travels from the nation's capital to the Jersey shore and back up north again...

Like most tourists, I ate out.  A lot.  And I chatted up a number of my waiters and waitresses, who were overwhelmingly efficient, pleasant, and young.

And educated.  You see, most of them had college degrees, but couldn't find work.  The general refrain was "well, we have to do something..."

Not exactly layabouts, or the celebrated "Occupiers".  Instead, just kids looking for a chance to make their way in the world. Virtually every single one of these young Americans (of all races, nationalities & genders) that I spoke with still had hope for their futures.

Which is not, of course, the same as Hope...



"Sunset in America"...although the youth I met would strongly disagree...

No comments: