Monday, May 22, 2006

Dixie Chicks Tell Fans: Drop Dead!

When writing about these vainglorious ingrates over the last few days, I wasn't aware they had a Time cover story coming out, although I guess I saw it coming:

I'll take wagers, though - how soon until we see something in the New York Times' or Washington Post's Arts section, bewailing the "censorship" of these "fine young patriots"?

Well, the
Time cover story leads with the following:

THEY'VE TAKEN THEIR HITS, AND NOW THE DIXIE CHICKS HIT BACK WITH WHAT MAY BE THE BEST ADULT POP CD OF THE YEAR. ER, WILL ANYONE BUY IT?

I can't access the rest of the article, but I would be surprised if it wasn't in the tone of what I expected above (I'll grab it at a newsstand tommorrow, take some notes, and put it back - I sure as hell ain't paying for that cover story!). As I reported in my earlier post, the first two singles have reached #36 and #50 respectively on the Billboard charts. I am sure the Time story will goose their sales quite a bit - having worked in a record store, I cannot tell you how many folks came in with clipped reviews on whatever band was a critic's fave at the moment, and declared they absolutely had to have their latest release.


So now the media is fixing the game at both ends - pimp the release of an anti-war album, then use its sales figures as proof that the population is actually anti-war. Sigh...

Anyway, some words of wisdom from Natalie Maines, via Wizbang: (with a tip of the cap to Gateway Pundit)

"I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

Nice - we must slavishly worship Miss Maines, or begone!
Hmmm...did Maines talk to her bandmates about this?

Maines bandmate Martie Maguire sounds as if she's looking for the sales, if not hits, to continue, controversy or no.
Says Maguire: "I'm not ready to fly coach."


Better grit your teeth for riding with the proletariat and their crying babies, Miss Maguire, if Maines keeps delivering up gems like these:

"I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President," Maines says in Time. "But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever"

Nor do we owe you any respect whatsoever, you self-indulgent spoiled brat. I'm sure you'll make some easy money as Time Magazine's newest whores, but like the working girls you emulate, watch how quickly you will become used, and discarded...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, can I be wone of "the really cool people that gets it", Natalie?
Promise you will be my one and only in the CD changer!
Please?

AWG said...

Good post. I noted this as well. As much as I love the Dixie Chicks and Natalie Maines in particular, those aforementioned comments gave me pause. They're only hurting themselves by rubbing salt in the proverbial wound, as it were.

J. said...

I have never bought a Dixie Chicks album before. But, I will be buying this one. I am sure many other Americans will do the same thing. We respect intelligent people who have worthwhile things to say.

Considering that Bush can barely muster support of 29 percent of the population in recent polls, I think some of his former supporters will also be supporting the Chicks by buying their record this time around.

However, it is just fine for kneejerk know-nothings like you go continue your mindless patter. Those of us who disagree with you are much more tolerant of you than you are of us.

The JerseyNut said...

Well, gee, thanks for your tolerance...
But you actually prove my point - You claim you are buying the Chicks because they "have something intelligent to say" (while I find the opposite to be true); so it appears you only became a fan when you heard that buying a Dixie Chicks album was a form of media-approved Bush-bashing.

You'll help bump their sales, play 'em for a while to impress your knee jerk anti-war buddies (or score some crunchy hippy chicks), then toss 'em aside when the next MSM-approved form of political protest hits the street.
That's OK with me; spend your money on these trashy chicks then leave them at the curbside when you've had enough; like my "pimps/whores" analogy..

And if concert attendance and record sales where indiciative of the voting habits of Americans, than Bush would never have won in 2004 by over 3 million votes - jeez, how many people went to see Springsteen rail aginst the right, or check out Michael Moore's latest?

But, hey, it's your money!