Tuesday, March 09, 2010

64% of Independents Hate ObamaCare!

...and the President yawns. He has long since moved past that whole arcane "consent of the governed" thing anyway...

The whole story:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 42% favor the plan while 53% are opposed. These figures include just 20% who Strongly Favor the plan and 41% who are Strongly Opposed.

As has been the case for months, Democrats overwhelmingly favor the plan, and Republicans are overwhelmingly opposed. As for those not affiliated with either major party, 32% favor the plan, and 64% are opposed.

One reason for the huge partisan gap is that a solid plurality of Democrats believe it would be a good for workers if they were forced off a private insurance plan and on to a government program. Republicans and unaffiliated voters strongly disagree.

A statement that butresses the belief that Democrats are more and more a party of white, upper-class elites. If they were really were the party of the blue-collar working man, well - can you see any union guy wanting to drop his collective-negotiated benefit package for some social welfare medical plan? Yeah, me neither.

Fifty-four percent (54%) of voters believe passage of the proposed health care legislation will lead to higher health care costs. Just 17% believe it will achieve the stated goal of reducing the cost of care.
Forty-nine percent (49%) also think passage of the plan will reduce the quality of care, while only 23% believe it will improve the quality of care.

Well, that just means that Americans are too stupid to understand the great generosity of our benevolent Democratic leadership. Maybe if they read more of the work of liberally-lauded economic genius Ezra Klein (who's all of...what? 26 year old?) or studied the work of Bush-bashing, Republican-hating, former Enron board member and Nobel prize-winning Paul Krugman, they would have greater understanding of how adding a trillion in debt on top of an existing trillion in debt is actually deficit reduction.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of those with insurance now rate their own coverage as good or excellent. The fact that most Americans are comfortable with their own insurance coverage has proven to be a major obstacle for advocates of reform.

Hey - if Obama says it's a crisis, then it's a crisis, OK? And if 5% of all Americans are uninsured, then the other 95% should suffer gladly, and sacrifice their hard-earned benefits to the control of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, who obviously know much more about how to run 17% of the nation's economy than the free market does!

All of which leaves this as an obvious result:

The disconnect between sustained public opposition to the plan and the belief it may pass may be one reason that just 21% of voters believe the federal government has the consent of the governed. This follows a similar disconnect on the bailouts, the takeover of General Motors and other initiatives that were approved in the past year despite strong public opposition.

But don't worry, Democrats. Obama will protect you in November! Just like he saved Martha Coakley, Jon Corzine, and the Democrats of Virginia...

No comments: