Tuesday, November 03, 2009

New Jersey Turnout #3: The Suburbs Are Rising Up!

...ancedontal, and according to the emails being recieved by Jim Geraghty...here's a few:

live in Montclair, New Jersey, which is big-time Democrat country. I voted at 8 a.m. and I was the only one there. Last year, the line was 6 or 7 deep continually and there were lots of Obama supporters outside with shirts and posters. Nothing at all this year.

More:

I live in a small suburban Essex County town, Verona, which usually swings slightly Republican. In fact I can't remember the last time the town was over 50 percent Democrat. Even Obama slightly lost to McCain. Of course, Verona is a tiny town of around 13,000 people. When I voted this morning, before 10 a.m., the lady running the machine said she was very surprised at the amount of people who had voted already. She stated that I was the 115th person to vote on her station. There are probably about 10 or so voting places in Verona for reference.

My district used to be a long time Republican strong hold in Verona but some of the Montclair/NYC elites have moved in but I'd still say that the majority in that district are Republicans. In any event the high turnout seems like it could be a positive sign early in the day.


No comments: