...right here in North America, just over the border in friendly Canada. And you thought going back to the olden ways would make life better? Hey folks, there's a reason we have been frantically inventing sh*t for the past hundred-plus years:
A Mississauga family who tried to light a candle for Earth Hour nearly burned their Meadowvale townhouse down.
Afshan Khalid, 46, said her 8-year-old daughter tried to light a candle before Earth Hour started at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
“She was lighting up the candle and we thought it didn’t light up or the match fell somewhere that we didn’t notice and then we left,” said Ms. Khalid. The family was going to see friends and when getting ready, they lighted scented candles so they could see.
While they were gone, Ms. Khalid’s son Omar, 19, came home at 9:30 with a friend, saw smoke and called 911.
“The upper floor is damaged. The central part is all burnt out, smoke damage to all the bedrooms,” said Ms. Khalid.
Platoon Chief Paul Hunter of the Mississauga Fire Department said the fire caused an estimated $15,000 damage.
That's what they get for living in an artifically contructed, man-made, house, as opposed to a nice, natural tree or cave.
Imagine the carnage if we had an Earth Day? Oh, wait...
Hat tip: Enviornmental Republican