Thursday, December 08, 2011

Jon Corzine tells Congress, "I'm a liar, and an economic illiterate"

How else to interpret these opening remarks?

Though anything he says could be used against him, Corzine hedges his testimony by saying he had too little time to prepare for the hearing and only limited access to records “essential to my being able to testify accurately.”

So Jon Corzine is going to lie.  Tell me something I don't know.  Actually, I am surprised he is testifying at all.  Probably figured that the optics of taking the fifth would be worse than lying to Congress.  Why not?  Eric Holder does it all the time...

Seems like Dirty Jon is more than a bit stunned that for the first time, the con he has been pulling for most of his life has failed. Hey - he stole taxpayer funds for years in Jersey, and that worked out just fine - someone else got stuck holding the bag!  And he figured the same would work for the colossal amount of Euro-debt he bought up at CEO of MF Global - hey, an entire Continent is too big to fail, right? The taxpayers would pony up the dough eventually, and he'd return the stolen deposits , and rake off the profits for himself.  Easy-peasy!

Only not this time. So now, the man Joe Biden called an economic genius is now playing economic illiterate. Who does he think he is, Barack Obama?

In Thursday’s statement, Corzine said that, though he “ultimately had overall responsibility for the firm,” he did not generally involve himself in the movement of cash and collateral or the mechanics of settling trades.

“Nor was I an expert on the complicated rules and regulations governing the various different operating businesses that comprised MF Global,” he said
.

Hmmm.  See Jon's first statement casting doubt on his own ability to speak truthfully.  Applies directly to the above.  Jon is trying to evade responsibility -  and perjury.  He will fail at both.

Can I quote Chris Christie, after he took over as governor, and finally got a look at Jersey's books?

"Avoidance of the facts and avoidance of the truth was a staple of the Corzine administration."

Somewhere, Barack Obama is sweating bullets, and Joe Biden is crapping his pants.  They supported this guy, they praised this guy's economic acumen, they got this guy a quid-pro-quo deal after we booted him out of Jersey.  And now he's on the stand, looking out only for himself, and in doing so he may yet take his former benefactors down with him.

Henry Rollins will tell you why:

I'll tell you things that you already know
so you can say
I really identify with you, so much
and all the time that you're needing me
is just the time that I'm bleeding you
don't you get it yet?
I'll come to you like an affliction
and I'll leave you like an addiction
you'll never forget me
you wanna know why?
cause I'm a liar
yeah I'm a liar
I'll rip your mind out
I'll burn your soul
I'll turn you into me
I'll turn you into me
cause I'm a liar, a liar
liar, liar, liar, liar

No comments: