Monday, January 14, 2008

Only in New Jersey: A Loyalty Oath

Want to attend Bergen Comunity College up in Northern Jersey? Better be ready first to swear your life on the PC Code:

In the full knowledge of the commitment that I am freely willing to undertake as a student, I promise to respect each and every member of the college community without regard to race, creed, political ideology, lifestyle orientation, gender or social status sparing no effort to preserve the dignity of those I will come in contact with as a member of the college community. I promise to Bergen Community College that I will follow this code of responsibility.

1. Honesty, integrity and respect for all will guide my personal conduct.
2. I will embrace and celebrate differing perspectives intellectually.
3. I will build an inclusive community enriched by diversity.
4. I am willing to respect and assist those individuals who are less fortunate.
5. I promise my commitment to civic engagement and to serve the needs of the community to the best of my ability.


Optional? Not according to a college spokeswoman:

"The pledge would not be optional .... If you don't agree, it is President Ryan's vision that you cannot attend the school."

More:

She said students who violated the code would be subject to judiciary hearings now reserved for offenses such as assault.

As Glenn Reynolds says:

They told me that if George W. Bush were re-elected, college students would be forced to sign loyalty oaths. And they were right!

Wow. So was Orwell...

No comments: